A mouth-watering cobbler-style cake which can be made with either fresh or frozen strawberries
Recipe by Sue Mah from Nutrition Solutions
With strawberry season is upon us, we’re thinking of many ways to incorporate them (here’s a whole list of ideas)! This Strawberry Cobbler Cake is a no brainer if you want the perfect spring/summertime dessert that can be put together in minutes. The strawberries (fresh or frozen) are scattered over the batter and topped with an oat crumble that gives it an extra fibre and crunch (yum!). Serve on its own or with a small scoop of ice cream. Enjoy!
Makes 8 Servings
What You Need
Strawberry Cobbler Cake Ingredients:
For the batter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg (large)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup flour, divided (all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, or combination of both)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries (if using frozen, do not thaw)
For the topping
- 1/4 cup flour or oats (for a “true” cobbler, you can use flour; you can also substitute it with oats for extra fibre and crunch)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
How to Make the Strawberry Cobbler Cake Recipe
For the batter
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl. cream together the softened butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, mix together half of the flour, baking powder, salt. Stir in yogurt. Add remaining flour and stir in milk to form a wet batter.
- Pour batter into the greased pan.
- Arrange the strawberries in a flat layer over the batter.
For the topping
- In a small bowl, whisk together oats and brown sugar.
- Cut in chilled butter with a pastry blender or 2 forks. The topping will look crumbly.
- Sprinkle the topping on top of the strawberries. It doesn’t have to be completely even.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. If using frozen strawberries, you may need to increase the baking time by 5-10 minutes.
If you tried this simple Strawberry Cobbler Cake Recipe, let us know on social media by tagging us on Facebook and Instagram @healthstandnutrition! We’d love to see how it turned out for you.
Nutrients per serving
Calculated using whole wheat flour, 1% milk and oats for the topping
47 g Carbohydrates
5.8 g Protein
5.8 g Fat
3 g Fibre
Don’t miss out on healthy new recipes or nutrition articles and sign up for our newsletter, today!
Sound Bites is a weekly nutrition newsletter that goes out to thousands of subscribers. Written by our team of registered dietitians and nutrition experts, it includes articles, videos, tips and recipes.
As a special BONUS, we’ll email you our popular ’51 Healthy Snack Attacks’ PDF.
Looking for more strawberry recipes? Check out these recipes!
Brought to you by our friendly Registered Dietitian team at Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc. For more balanced living advice check out our RESOURCE MEGA BANK of nutrition articles, videos, healthy recipes, newsletters and meal planning kits here: www.healthstandnutrition.com/personal-nutrition/resource-mega-bank/