These vegan Golden Beet Veggie Balls are filled with the nutrition and flavors of golden beet roots, cannelloni beans, mushrooms, hazelnuts and herbs—they are excellent served as an entree or appetizer with this Almond Sage Cranberry Crema.
- 1 bunch fresh golden beets (about 5)
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed drained (about 1 ¾ cups)
- 2 green onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh chopped parsley
- ½ cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- ¼ cup ground flax seeds
- ½ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (may use gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced
Almond Sage Cranberry Crema
To make Veggie Balls:
- Trim beets and scrub outside surface, leaving peels on. Shred beets with food processor or box grater.
- Place beans in a large mixing bowl and mash slightly with a potato masher to achieve a thick mixture with some lumps.
- Add beets, onions, garlic, mushrooms, parsley, hazelnuts, flax seeds, breadcrumbs, sage, tarragon, thyme, smoked paprika, and black pepper. Toss together well.
- Mix in soy sauce, tahini, and lemon juice—using hands to combine mixture well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 375 and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Form 24 golf ball-sized balls out of the mixture and place evenly on baking sheet.
- Bake veggie balls in top rack of oven for about 40 – 45 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve with Almond Sage Cranberry Crema.
- Makes 8 servings (3 veggie balls each)
To Make Almond Sage Cranberry Crema
- Soak almonds in water for 2 hours (or overnight).
- Drain water and place soaked almonds in the container of a blender or food processor.
- Add 4 tablespoons plant milk, lemon juice, garlic, black pepper, and ground sage and process to make a thick, creamy dip. If too thick, may add 1-2 tablespoons plant milk as needed to create desired texture.
- Transfer crema to a dish and stir in fresh sage, cranberries, and salt if desired. May garnish with additional freshly ground black pepper and fresh sage. Makes 8 servings (about 2 ½ tablespoons each)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes (plus one hour for chilling)
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 312
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 236 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 12 g
- Protein: 13 g
Keywords: vegan veggie balls, veggie balls, vegan entree