Arthritis is a common condition that can cause both stiffness and pain. There are many different types of Arthritis, but the most common type of Arthritis in older adults is Osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis can happen when the cartilage between the bones breaks down. This can cause the bones to rub against each other, which can be painful. Arthritis can also make it difficult to move the joints.
What Is Arthritis?
Arthritis is a general term for conditions that affect the joints and surrounding tissues. Arthritis is prevalent in older adults. There are many different types of Arthritis, but the most common type is osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis is a degenerative disease when the cartilage between joints breaks down. This can cause pain, stiffness, and swelling.
Types Of Arthritis
Types of Arthritis might include:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Psoriatic Arthritis
- Ankylosing spondylitis
Five Causes Of Arthritis In Older Adults
Many different things can cause Arthritis in older adults. However, the most common causes are:
- Age – As we age, our bodies start to break down and wear out. This includes the cartilage in our joints. Over time, this cartilage wears away, which can lead to Arthritis.
- Obesity – Obesity: carrying extra weight puts extra stress on the joints, which can wear down the cartilage and lead to Arthritis.
- Injury – An injury to a joint, such as a fracture or dislocation, can damage the cartilage and lead to Arthritis.
- Genetics – Arthritis can run in families, so if your parents or grandparents had Arthritis, you might be more likely to get it.
- Infection – Some types of Arthritis are caused by infections, such as Lyme disease or Rheumatoid Arthritis.
For those who have Arthritis, they can tell you that Arthritis causes pain along with stiffness in the joints, making it challenging to move around freely.
It can also make everyday tasks difficult, such as opening a jar or tying shoelaces. Arthritis can be a debilitating condition, but there are ways to manage it.
What Treatments Are There For Arthritis?
There are many different treatments for Arthritis, both medical and natural. Some people take medication to help relieve the pain, while others use supplements or herbal remedies. Some lifestyle changes can help, such as losing weight, exercising, and using assistive devices.
How Does Arthritis In Older Adults Affect Mobility?
The loss of mobility is a common effect of Arthritis in older adults. This can make it difficult to do everyday tasks, such as getting out of bed or walking to the bathroom. Arthritis can also make it difficult to exercise, leading to a decline in overall health. There are many ways to manage this loss of mobility, such as using assistive devices like lightweight manual wheelchairs, walkers, canes, exercising, and taking medication.
How Can I Prevent Arthritis?
There are some things you can do to help prevent Arthritis, such as:
- Maintaining a healthy weight – Carrying extra weight puts extra stress on the joints, leading to Arthritis.
- Exercising – Exercise helps keep the joints healthy and can help prevent Arthritis.
- Wearing supportive shoes – Wearing shoes that support the feet and ankles can help prevent Arthritis.
- Avoiding injury – Avoiding injuries to the joints can help prevent Arthritis.
- Eating a healthy diet – Eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains can help reduce inflammation and protect the joints.
What Are Some Tools That Can Help Manage Arthritis?
Many different tools can help you manage Arthritis. Some of these include:
- Arthritis gloves: these gloves help reduce pain and swelling in the hands.
- Arthritis creams and ointments can help relieve pain and swelling in the joints.
- Arthritis support devices: such as canes, walkers, and wheelchairs, can help you stay mobile.
- Arthritis exercise programs: these can help increase flexibility and range of motion.
Arthritis can be a debilitating condition, but there are many ways to manage it. You can live a whole and active life with the right treatment plan.
When Should You See A Doctor?
If you think you may have Arthritis, it is essential to see a doctor. They will be able to diagnose the condition and recommend the best treatment plan for you.
Arthritis is a prevalent condition, but there are many different types. A doctor will be able to determine the best course of treatment for you.
There are many different types of Arthritis, and the best way to treat it depends on the type you have. There are also many different treatments for Arthritis, both medical and natural. Some people take medication to help relieve the pain, while others use supplements or herbal remedies. Some lifestyle changes can help, such as losing weight, exercising, and using assistive devices. Arthritis can be a debilitating condition, but there are many ways to manage it.